- April 15
A Crow Looked At Me
- Phil Elverum's latest album as Mount Eerie is an astonishing, tragic, harrowing listen.
- July 03
- A look back at Scott Walker's most recent solo album, about four years later.
- December 21
MPD + Quicksilver on OS X
- Using mpd and Quicksilver to play my music on OS X.
- October 15
Mapping Grief By Reflections
- Trying to make sense of my own peculiar resistance to grief by looking at what thwarts it.
- September 25
Poison Season : Kaputt :: Trouble in Dreams : Destroyer's Rubies
- Defending a glib SAT analogy about four Destroyer albums.
- April 07
- The perfect marriage of Emacs and Vim. They said he was crazy, but Sylvain Benner showed them. Oh, how he showed them all.
- March 14
Pi Day Curmudgeonliness
- I'm a curmudgeon about Pi Day. But...
- November 22
My Own Personal Editor War
- The nutshell summary of several years' worth of agonizing about text editors.
- November 08
My Best Bug Fix of the Year
- I tracked down and worked around a gloriously esoteric bug in Microsoft's C libraries.
- July 11
Generating Level Maps for Tone Poem
- An approach to generating (and navigating) maps with a minimum of hassle for both dev and player.
- July 06
Music in Tone Poem
- A combination of modules and hacks to get Kivy to do what I need with MIDI.
- July 03
The Prescriptivist's Dodge
- I'm not saying it's wrong, it's just bad.
- February 20
MIDI in Python
- The situation is... not fantastic.
- January 14
2013 Music's Best Lines
- My favorite lines in music released in 2013.
- December 14
Thoughts on Yeezus
- Yeezus is a striking left turn for Kanye West but its lyrics gross me out too much for it to make my top 10.
- December 08
Julia Holter, Loud City Song; Yamantaka // Sonic Titan, UZU
- Two albums that are mirror images of each other in many ways but share one surprising characteristic.
- December 01
Woodkid, The Golden Age
- Woodkid's debut LP The Golden Age is masterfully constructed but doesn't make me feel enough feelings.
- November 09
An Amendment to an Android Widget Tutorial
- A tutorial for writing an Android widget is straightforward and easy to follow, but some parts are wrong. I attempt to amend them.
- September 29
- Making an entire Indian buffet in stages.
- August 06
Does Python Cuddle?
- I coin a term for how a particular syntactic idiom applies to Python.
- August 04
Notes on Haskell
- An emotional roller coaster with Haskell and Project Euler.
- July 20
- Circumventing the App Store for an Open-Source IRC Client.
- July 17
Converting a Module to a Package
- Python code organization.
- July 16
2013 Music Halfway Point
- My favorite music so far in 2013.
- June 21
- Python's StringIO module and a couple use cases.